Morfu (Corfu Town)





We remain anchored in Corfu town harbour.
Chez having been second jabbed yesterday after a confusing and frustrating goose chase around town trying to track down the correct vaccination centre. Now we’re both successfully dosed up, our only hurdle to waving goodbye to Greece is to secure our vaccination certificates from the local ‘KEP’ office. I’m not sure of the exact title, but KEP in Greece is a cross between a citizens advice bureau and a council office. We have an appointment there on Friday, which if successful, will mean we can check out of Greece and head off to Italy and beyond in the next few days.
I had a few things to pick up from the local chandlers - a decent walk around to the other side of town next to the commercial harbour. I went there yesterday and on my return randomly came across a cricket pitch - nice to see, and not altogether surprising as we’d read of a thriving cricket league here in Corfu. There’s no fixtures at present - yet another victim of Covid. Having read up a little, I see that the Greek cricket team (based here) are 68th in the World rankings.... who knew there were that many cricketing nations??!
Anyway this morning, realising I needed something else from the same shop ( a zinc anode to bolt onto the keel to stop it rusting ) we headed off together along the front. Yesterday, on my own, I’d been rapidly stomping my long legs, head down, happy for the exercise. Today however, with an inquisitive Chez alongside, we strolled at a leisurely pace taking in lush ornamental gardens, impressive Venetian fortifications, a cat here and there, and quite a few groups of mainly German tourists.


The chandler came up trumps again - having exactly what I needed and at a reasonably cheap price. We wove our way back through the old town, again marveling at its shabby crumbling chic backstreets and curb side cafes. Stopped at the open market and a supermarket on our way back for some provisions.
Returning back to the tender, we found a group of about 8 near naked kids using our dingy as a diving board/pirate ship. Initially smiling I shooed them out, and was then surrounded by outstretched begging palms ‘money money’.




I replied with a ‘no’ but raised this to a shout as they started taking the shopping out of my bag. Unperturbed by the shouty man, the kids stuck around as we headed off - other than the oars being thrown in the water and some dirty footprints, no harm had been done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My heart lies waiting over the foam... (New Caledonia - Australia)

Your happiness is our goal (Tahiti)

Nice times (Lady Musgrave Island)