Somewhere in Corfu... I think. (Corfu)

 


1st July 2021 Petriti - Corfu Town

We upped anchor this morning from a small town on the island of Corfu who’s name escapes me.
Chez despairs of my awful memory for place names - She is (as all the best CVs say) an ‘avid reader’ and takes the lead in the overwhelming majority, if not all, of our passage planning sessions. In doing so, she can remember and recall the names of the places we stay quite easily... me, not so much. While Chez reads, researches and absorbs, I’m either busy fixing something (mainly toilets) or spending my time daydreaming, bird-watching or rambling on in my diary like this...
I can however clearly recall places by the meals I’ve eaten there, or by something that occurred there. For example:
Hydra: A rude Romanian woman and two ginger cats (didn’t eat them, just met them)
Trizoni: Zucchini fritters and a weedy anchor drag.
Polyagios: Where my shoe broke...
So, for me at least, our last anchorage will be known as:
‘The place where England beat Germany in the football’
...having consulted the oracle (well Googlemaps actually), I now know it to have been: Petriti.
Let’s start again:
Left Petriti this morning. Headed North up the East coast of Corfu on flat calm water in hazy sweltering heat (mid 30s) with no wind to speak of. Arrived here (Corfu Town) around lunchtime, dropped anchor in the wide bay overlooked by an impressively fortified sandstone castle. The bottom, although uniformly shallow (3-5m) only has spots of suitable sand to anchor here and there, the rest being a thick bed of sea grass. Carefully picking our spot we anchored as best we could.
My knee has only given way a couple of times in the last few days - having google doctored myself, I think I’m going to diagnose it as a slight tear in my ACL... this apparently is your anterior cruciate ligament. This little acronym is responsible for keeping your kneecap doing what kneecaps do, but to me, it does sound a lot like a Harry Potteresque spell...
“Quick! Hermonie, make his knee buckle”
“OK... Anteriorcruciateligamentus!”
....and with a startled yelp, down I go like a sack of potatoes.

I had a pre-conceived idea what Corfu town would be like, and I’m glad to say that I was very wrong. We strolled around the old town this evening, kerbside cafes, wrought iron balconies on tall shuttered buildings give the place a Parisian feel. Add pedestrian only streets, buskers, smiling locals, chic city ladies, young families out for an evening stroll and a smattering of tourists and you have a lovely eclectic mix that had both Chez and I smiling widely as we took it all in.
....and to add to the joy, my knee played nice again tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My heart lies waiting over the foam... (New Caledonia - Australia)

Your happiness is our goal (Tahiti)

Nice times (Lady Musgrave Island)