No news is good news. (Rangiroa)





18 June 2023 (Rangiroa)

Anchored off the ultimate picture postcard resort: KiaOra on Rangiroa.
Thatched huts sit above pure crystal turquoise water. Palms behind, and a little beach in front.
We’re here having a few lazy days. The last passage to here from Nuku Hiva, was a lovely sail pretty much throughout, but it did tire us both out. With the luxury of no real timetable to have to stick to, this isn’t a problem - we can take it easy.
We are a little blind when it comes to the weather - the phone loaded up with the appropriate apps got wet in one of the last squalls so we’re restricted the basics from the iridium on my phone.
Gave the hull a clean yesterday - curious unicorn fish keeping me company. Surprisingly not much dirt down there this time round, so more of a fun activity than a dirty, itchy chore.
Both me and Chez have been swimming.
I picked up a coconut on an otherwise fruitless morning hike hunting for baguettes. Back on board, I spent a happy half hour on the transom slowly ripping it apart (with the help of a saw, a screwdriver and club hammer). Very satisfying to finally crack the finished product open and reveal insides of pure white and brimming with coconut juice. Yum. I’ve said before: in the absence of chocolate, coconut isn’t a bad alternative.
Took the tender over to some buoys at the end of the pass - great coral and a wide selection of fish I hadn’t seen before - also a rather large shark (at least as long as me) who made himself scarce as soon as I’d spotted him. Both enjoyed the float around with aquarium like fish you can nearly stroke they’re so close. Headed back for sundowners as 3 loaded tour boats arrived.
Dined out at the local cafe - I ordered steak.. my first in 5 years! It was surprisingly good, and the wifi there resolved our lack of weather forecast concerns.
Snorkelled again the next day - it really is spectacular over there. Had the reef to ourselves, tied to a different buoy and spent an hour marvelling at the multicoloured array of exotic fish below us. Absolutely amazing!
A doctor once told me, when I wasn’t having the best of times to steer clear of the news - it brings you no joy. In the main I do - reveling in my ignorance of not knowing who is winning whatever war is currently raging. I dipped my toe in today and rapidly pulled it straight out again… a monkey torturing syndicate (Seriously - what the fuck is wrong with people???), ongoing Ukrainian war and a tourist submarine lost to the Titanic… I thought Lachlan sharing the results of the first Ashes test was bad news enough!
That first test match has just wrapped up; The Aussies taking home the win after a tight finishing day five - great game by all accounts (Thanks Lach) 🙂
Stayed for a few more days waiting for the perfect weather window. This gave us time to further enjoy the snorkelling on the reef and for me to go on a route march to the ‘local’ shop for supplies and see a little more of the island.
We made it safely back out through the pass this morning - a daunting task, that was slightly better than anticipated. Chez may not agree fully with that statement as the nerves and immediately rough rolly sea on our exit had her suffering a thankfully short bout of mal de mer as we made it through.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My heart lies waiting over the foam... (New Caledonia - Australia)

Your happiness is our goal (Tahiti)

Nice times (Lady Musgrave Island)